Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sound before anything.....

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Bill on July 10, 1999 at 23:27:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Sound before anything..... posted by Dale on July 10, 1999 at 22:45:30:

I think we are getting away from the main point a little bit. The audience does not care, and should not care, about your horn, or what you are doing inside your head or physical adjustments, unless it effects the overall musical picture. The only other people who are even aware of these things are other tubists and possibly some other brass players. We should look to be the complete musician, capable of anything, played with:
(In no particular order)
1. good sound
2. good time
3. good interpretation (musicality)
How a person arrives at that, I personally think is thier own business. For instance, I play on a yamaha 822 c (Which has been tweaked here and there) that some people play on it and can't get it to sound good at all, but I really like it and have been told that I make it work, and of course there are some horns which work for others that I can't make one good sound on.
The tuba has gotten knocked around in the past by conductors, composers, other tubists etc... and I can see why sometimes. We seem to get into the whole tuba mentality, instead of complete musician. For me, I want to play beautiful lines like Wunderlich, Dieskaw, Bjorling, with the facility of Clark, Marsalis, Sheridan, Stoltsman and with the sound of Du Pre, Isserlis, Casals etc.... I could go on, but I hope you get the point. I hope that this hasn't sounded negative in any way, I hope it is taken to heart as an honest view, with no malice (I do not wish to get into any BBS shouting matches) and I hope that it helps everyone on thier path to their own personal goals.
thanks,
Bill

Follow Ups: