Re: Re: Polite tuba testing.

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on July 16, 2001 at 13:47:55:

In Reply to: Re: Polite tuba testing. posted by Retail Sympathiser on July 15, 2001 at 23:57:46:

I would disagree with the statement about being ready to buy if you try out horns. I have only been in the market for a horn 3 times, but have tried out horns from vendors much more often than that. People know people and reputations are built by word of mouth. When I bought my F tuba, I did not even try it out. I had played enough horns in the past at various vendors that I just knew what I wanted. I was very pleased with the outcome. Same thing for my CC tuba.

If I go to Acme Tuba Sales and they are patient with my questions and other people's questions I will be more likely to recommend them. If they let me play with all their expensive toys so I can form my own opinions on them, then I will be able to tell my good buddy John Doe about this great horn I played on at Acme Tuba Sales. John Doe might not even call them up, but they got some good advertising through word of mouth. It is similiar to visiting Barnes and Nobles and not buying that magazine you read over a cup of coffee.

On the point of requiring people to pay for damage to horns which were demo'ed, I would most likely disagree with that one too, unless the damage was due to intentional negligence or mischief. If a horn gets a scratch from a belt buckle or a slide falls out and gets dented, then I would say that is par for the course of having demonstrator horns. I can recall very few demo horns I have played on which were in absolutally perfect condition. It might cost a few dollars to have the horn repaired, but charge it off to insurance not the unfortunate customer put the horn down a bit too hard on the chair. If someone accidentally caused $200 in damage to a demo horn and was told they would have to ante up the dough to pay for the repairs, how much profits do you think would be lost by not getting a sale from them and possibly 1 or 2 friends of theirs. I assume the markup on 2-5 lost potential horn sales is greater than $200-500.

sean

Follow Ups: