Re: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 11, 2000 at 12:39:45:

In Reply to: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc? posted by Jay Bertolet on June 10, 2000 at 16:09:08:

Jay, I like the way you describe what you like about the Nirschl. I don't play C tubas with any facility, but I found I could hardly make sounds on the 2165 I tried out some years ago (when they were new on the market). Years before that I'd blown a few notes on a Yorkbrunner, and remember it as being much easier to play.

Here's my question: If I was looking for a BBb horn with similar playability characteristics as what you describe, where would I look? What horns should I consider? Does the King 2341 or an old Conn XXJ fall into that category? Do I have to wait for that special old BBb York or Holton and compete against the cutters to get one? At their smaller horns with the same characteristics?

Obviously, I'm not looking for a BBb with the same quality as a Nirschl, and I'm also not looking for a $15,000 horn! My expectations are under control; I'm just curious as to what BBb horns follow the same philosophy of being relatively easy to play but still get that big sound.

My current horn is a Miraphone 186. *If* I get another BBb horn, I want it to do things the Miraphone won't do, especially considering that I'm an amateur and don't practice enough.

Rick "Looking for directions, not conclusions" Denney

Follow Ups: