Re: Re: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 11, 2000 at 22:39:15:

In Reply to: Re: Re: 6/4 tuba: Hirs vs. MW vs. PT-7 vs...etc? posted by Rick Denney on June 11, 2000 at 12:39:45:

I can't really claim to be a total expert on BBb tubas because I primarily play on CC tubas and I'm sure there are several BBb tubas out there that I haven't played. That said, I can offer you my conclusions to date and you can use that info how you see fit.

If you are looking for a BBb tuba that has the same characteristics as the Nirschl York, my first reaction is that one doesn't exist. But there are some that come close. One I would really look for is a York Master. These were 4 piston valve, upright detachable bell, works of art. Now I have seen some that were different (one recently on eBay that had 3 valves upright) so I would qualify this choice as the Master model that has the 4 pistons in front, rather than on top (ala Besson). I've played several Conn and King tubas and while they are good tubas, they are not the same feel to me as the Nirschl. As you said, I think you may ultimately have to compete for the cut candidate instruments of York and Holton because I think that is your best chance of finding the particular feel you get with the Nirschl. And don't forget the role of the mouthpiece in all this, finding a good mouthpiece match for the tuba can make all the difference.

In thinking about this, I wonder if this phenomenon isn't the reason folks buy those BBb tubas and cut them to CC. While you get the sound I'm talking about with either the 6/4 BBb or CC tubas, only the Nirschl has that easy feel too. I've heard people say that the Chicago York is the same, though I've never personally played it. One of my students told me that Jake used to say about the CSO York "you put 4/4 in and you get 6/4 out". This is exactly what I like about the Nirschl. All the BBb tubas I ever played that had that typical 6/4 sound also felt like 6/4 tubas, some more so than others. So, the shorter tube of a CC tuba might give just enough extra response, without destroying the sound quality, to make the gamble of cutting worthwhile.

From a philsophical standpoint, I would be looking for a horn that has certain characteristics in its design. Again, I'm also no expert on design but I've noticed some similarities in this type of instrument that are common to most of the really good ones. I would look for as short a leadpipe as possible. I would look for as large a bottom bow as possible. I would look for a bell with as large a throat as possible. The flare of the bell doesn't seem to make as much of an impact as other factors but most of the good ones seem to have a rather large bell diameter. Generally, the metal gauge on these tubas is thicker rather than thinner. I know these are vague generalities but they might be a good starting point. I'd be curious to hear what others think about what design elements make for a great 6/4 tuba.

My opinion for what its worth...

Follow Ups: