Re: Tuba that matches a trumpet

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by One who tried it a long time ago on March 28, 1999 at 16:38:46:

In Reply to: Tuba that matches a trumpet posted by Jacob on March 28, 1999 at 04:42:12:

Both the BBb tuba and Bb trumpet play the same pitches and have the same harmonic fundamentals, albeit two octaves apart, with the same fingerings. If you read Bb trumpet music, you can play it on the tuba two octaves lower using the same fingerings as you would on the trumpet: example reading middle C on Bb trumpet music would be played open on both Bb trumpet and BBb tuba to sound a concert Bb. This method allows the tuba player to play in the same key as the trumpet. Tuba players have been doing this for years when they played out of the original trumpet version of the Arban book.

The opposite holds true when playing trumpet, theoretically the Bb trumpet player could read BBb tuba music and, if using tuba fingerings, play the music perfectly in tune 2 octaves higher.

If you want to play trumpet music on tuba, learn trumpet fingerings. If you want to play tuba music on trumpet (and I don't know too many people who try this), learn tuba fingerings.
BUT, if you just want to play trumpet and tuba using the music that was written for them, take the time to read bass and treble clefs and learn tuba and trumpet fingerings. Although this is harder up front in the long run you will be glad you did this.

I hope I did not answer the wrong question.
Good luck, and make music.

Follow Ups: