Re: Majoring in Music

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony Antonuccio on March 09, 1999 at 23:12:55:

In Reply to: Majoring in Music posted by S.P. on March 04, 1999 at 21:09:57:

If you want a music career then you'll have to choose some type of major that includes music. It can be Music Ed, Music Business, Music Recording, etc. Otherwise you stand no chance of obtaining a music scholarship. A scholarship is one barometer you might use in evaluating your musical talent. This will tell you where you stand compared to your peers and may foretell how far you can take your performance career.

Here's a parent's point of view.

Though we are not muscians, my wife and I have been supporting our son's musical endeavors since he was 8. We've met many teachers and musicians and none actually makes a living just performing. In spite of this we continue to support our son's musical career.

One can debate what the purpose of college might be, but at some point one has to become self-sufficient, and also pay off those college loans.

Even with a full boat our son chose Music Ed. This he did on our advice, and the advice of most of his teachers. Also, several of the college professors that he auditioned for strongly discouraged a performance major.

However, Music Ed has a several disadvantages: mandatory marching band participation for 2 or 3 years; heavier work load. Many schools, scholarship wise, will not begrudge a Music Ed major. However, expect that performance majors will get first crack at preferred band positions. As music programs have many students with poor work habits you can overcome by dedication, committment, and practice practice practice. You can become a Music Ed major with a performance attitude.

I feel that the size of the school you choose is critical. Mostly skip the large state schools because you'll likely be taught by an assistant and the competition for bands, and practice rooms, is very high. Too small a school won't have the critical mass to support enough good bands. A medium school of between 5 to 10 thousand students can be an ideal size.

As far as scholarship money, you'll find that private schools are far more generous than state ones. However southern state schools have very reasonable tuition. Texas, for instance, has a state law that allows in-state tuition if a non-resident can garner a $1000 scholarship.

At first, my son was not pleased with his Music Ed choice. But now, with exposure to professional musicians in graduate programs, he is slowly realizing that a professional musician's life may be glamorous but they are returning to get graduate degrees because of the volatility and uncertainty of the life. His current goal is to teach (preferably in college) and still play professionally.

Good luck on whatever road you choose.

Follow Ups: