Re: Re: Whats the finest EEb tuba available today?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by ken k on March 16, 1999 at 16:26:13:

In Reply to: Re: Whats the finest EEb tuba available today? posted by Jay Bertolet on March 14, 1999 at 21:19:58:

I recently played many Ebs at the Tuba euph conference in Wash. DC I like the Willson the best, but it costs over $7000! The Meinl Weston was very comparable and more than $2000 less! The biggest difference i could tell was in the valves. The Meinl weston Valves are wide spread and a little harder to work. The Willson valves are closer together and easier on the hands. The new Besson is very nice, but it has a much lighter tone quality to it than the Willson or the Meinl. It would not work as an all around horn like the others. I still like the older Besson 3 & 1 compensating horn. (I do not know the model number off hand.)I use it in brass quintets, tuba-euph quartet (on the top tuba part), a small pops orchestra I play in and in a small concert band where I am usually not the only tuba player. I am looking into getting a newer Besson with the larger mouthpiece receiver and lead pipe to help open up the low register. My only complaint with my horn is a stuffy low register below the low Ab. I played the Nirschl Eb but it too had a lighter tone and was over $8000. I rambled on quite a bit but I hope it made sense. ken k

Follow Ups: