Re: Deposits on valves and valve casings

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on March 25, 2001 at 20:41:48:

In Reply to: Deposits on valves and valve casings posted by Les Smith on March 25, 2001 at 20:05:38:

Rick Denney and others might know more about this, but I THINK (my best guess as to what's happening) that the brass oxide that is "just" forming on those brand new valve casings electro-plates itself over to the (monel? - yours?) pistons with just a bit of acidic saliva (mixed with condensation) as the catalist and the up and down friction of the pistons causing enough electricity to supply the electrical current.

I think the BEST way to avoid this is to use plenty of thicker-than-Al-Cass oil (like "Blue Juice", etc.) to act as not only a lubricant, but as an electrical insulator and as a medium to allow the oxide deposits on the pistons to get scuffed away and run away from the pistons as liquid at approximately the same speed that the stuff tends to form on there. You can use carefully-mixed Lime-Away or C.L.R. for around 5-10 minutes to disolve the brass oxide from the surfaces of your pistons. (Of course, you know not to dip the bumper felts in that stuff, and to rinse thoroughly with soap and water.)

Once your casings are completely coated with brass oxide (brown) and smoothed off by use, everything should stabilize. You will then have gotten through "break-in".

This stuff is my best guess as to what is happening. If someone else is certain that they know - and it is different, I'd be interested in reading.

Follow Ups: