Re: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by AW on March 09, 2003 at 23:51:09:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Klaus on March 09, 2003 at 22:35:19:

I have enjoyed reading many posts from both Rick and Klaus in the past, but I'm going to side with Klaus here. A policy of trying to be as much out of tune as some section mates is appalling. Also, speaking from personal experience, it's no trouble for me to play a CC tuba in a community band along with BBb tubas. The only extra effort I've had to go to was explaining to them what a fifth valve is for. Of course, it helps that my section mates are interested in making good music, rather than just honking out notes.

Yes, all of our instruments have intonation quirks, and that includes high brass and woodwinds too. Learning an instrument also includes learning to deal with these quirks. If there are problems playing the same pitch together, some section rehearsals before the main band rehearsals would help clear that up. Bring along a tuner to act as an impartial referee. Once all section members can play in tune in accordance with equal temperament, then it's time to work on getting the pitch really right. Depending on what interval within a chord one is playing, the note may need to be adjusted off the equally tempered pitch. Some community band directors will lead exercises for the entire band to help get intervals really right (most often, the thirds have to be flattened).

There's a lot of fun in making music. But the special thrills can only be found when everything is together. That's a worthy goal to work toward!

BBb versus CC? I haven't addressed that, but others have pretty well. I took up tuba again last April after decades away. Years ago, I had played mostly BBb and some Eb, so I thought I would get another BBb. First, I found a teacher. Don't get a horn before you find a teacher! Then, I tried out some tubas, mostly BBb pitch, but also including CC. I fell in love with a particular CC, and bought it. [In case anyone's interested, it's a Meinl-Weston 32, which I play with a Conn Helleberg mouthpiece.] I would say that learning to use five valves was more effort than switching from BBb to CC. Indeed, I think it's true that learning the quirks of another tuba is more effort than going from BBb to CC. If I should decide to get a really big tuba, like one of those Conn 2xJ ones, I wouldn't mind if it's in BBb. Anyone who thinks he's too old to cope with different pitch fingerings had better get himself into a second childhood immediately.

Best of luck. Buy the tuba you fall in love with, strive for excellence, and most of all, have fun!

Allen Walker
pipes2000ATtheatreorgans.com
Substitute (AT) for AT.

Follow Ups: