Re: Re: Re: Houston Sym

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David on March 11, 2003 at 11:39:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Houston Sym posted by Mark F. on March 11, 2003 at 08:20:47:

Having been on both sides of a business, management and employee, I have feelings for both. From a management point of view, if the money is not there, their are two ways to solve the problem. One solution increases revenues and the other one reduces costs.

In speaking with friends, there is very little sympathy for people who 'work' as little as the symphony musicians. Don't think I want to start a war here. Most people don't have any idea of the time required to prepare for a career in music. All that is seen is the time put in each week for rehearsals and concerts and, unless I am mistaken, most symphony rehearsal/concert schedules are far less than 40 hours a week.

The real question/problem is how to overcome the perceptions of a group of overpaid, under-worked musicians (again not meant to provoke a words war). A strike, particularly in a right-to-work state, is not going to get favorable marks for the musicians. I am not even sure there is support from other musicians in the city for them. The symphony out pays the other arts groups by several times, uses union funds to pay their lawyer and has a cap on the work dues paid to the union. The other orchestras, ballet, theatre, and opera, are part time, get a part time lawyer for contracts, and pay dues on their entire salaries.

Perhaps an answer lies in giving more back to the community without expecting to always being paid for that service. How many times does the symphony brass quintet, woodwind quintet, several string quartets, soloists, conductors go to schools, community centers, hospitals and perform just for the fun of it -- on their own time?

Many corporations encourage employees to work for organizations supportive of special populations, charitable groups, hospitals. In other words, give back to the people. Since a symphony is one more corporation, a service one, think of the public relations possible if these things are done.

It is my opinion that communities would support those arts groups that consistently gave to the them without the threat of a work stoppage. Corporations that have employees that consistently give more than asked very seldom have wage problems. The best employees receive the highest pay and the lesser ones are relieved and sent on their way.

Follow Ups: