Re: Characteristic Sounds

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Andy on March 08, 2004 at 11:06:23:

In Reply to: Characteristic Sounds posted by Observer on March 07, 2004 at 08:45:08:

To my ear, Jake's sound typifies the American ideal for the orchestral tuba sound. Of the younger (or as Bear Bryant once put it, the older youngsters) generation of players, those who most closely match this style of sound are Warren Deck and Floyd Cooley. Unfortunately, both have retired.

The qualities I hear in Jake's sound have to do with the resonance present. His sound, as I believe he himself has characterized it, has more of the fundamental in it and less of the overtones. This type of sound, IMHO, provides a foundation on which the rest of the brass section is supported, while still having the projection to be heard as an indepentant voice in the brass choir.

The sound at the opposite end of the spectrum, to my ear, is Roger Bobo, who has more of the overtones and less of the fundamental in his sound. To me, while he sounds great, his sound does not provide the same foundation for the rest of the brass, but is more of one voice in a choir of many.

I have not heard Alan Baer, but Gene Pokorney seems to blend the qualities of both Jacobs and Bobo. His sound is very resonant, but also has that individual voice in the choir quality. The thing that I like best about his sound is that the quality remains escellent, regardless of range or dynamic. Loud or soft, high or low, it is always beautiful.

Of the young players I have heard, Jeff Anderson in San Francisco has a great sound, too, with many of the qualities I have attributed to Jake's sound. I had the pleasure of hearing him do Pictures recently. He put out a massive sound in the tutti passages, and played a Bydlo that would make you cry.

Follow Ups: