Re: Pedal Notes

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Use this - Winton on May 05, 2001 at 11:33:42:

In Reply to: Pedal Notes posted by Tim Murphy on May 04, 2001 at 18:07:08:

Ok, I'm not sure if you're doing this, but since your problem is having the pedals speak, you must use this shift. I don't know if you're using the shift, but the shift allow you to attack the lower notes right on(usually lower F and lower). It's different for some people, but I use most of my upper lip, but you still must maintain a firm embochure. I'm saying this in case you're not using a shift. It makes you play them really fortissimo. Now, holding it out for a long time is a problem. Either stagger the pedal C with another tuba player, or if you're the only one, then do the Roger Bobo long tone excercises. Seriously, they help you out SOOOOOOOOOOOO much. They made me a better tuba player (within the zillion miles between me and Roger Bobo, I'm a whole inch closer now!). If you don't konw them, email me, and I'll tell you what they are.

I don't know what kind of tuba you have, but a C tuba would really help. Doing pedal C's on a BBb tuba would be a killer, still possible though. It would be easy to do pedal C's on an F tuba, but that's a NO NO for Carina Burana. Email if you have any questions, especially for the Bobo long tones.

-W

Follow Ups: