Re: Best tuba for low range

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Frederick J. Young on June 02, 2001 at 08:23:57:

In Reply to: Best tuba for low range posted by Phil on May 31, 2001 at 11:23:09:

The real problem in the low range given a player who can play well in that range is not the kind of tuba. It is the undeniable fact that standard 4 and 5 valve tubas simply do not have the correct lengths of tubing to play the pitches in tune in the last 5 or six semitones above the fundamental. As I have shown on several spreadsheets widely available there is no set of valve combinations that yeild good results.

The compensating 4 valve tubas solve the pitch problem to some extent but sometimes are stuffy.

To my knowledge the best available tuba for the low register is the Gronitz double tuba with 4 double valves and a tritonus switch valve. It gives the proper lengths of tubing closely enough and is not stuffy. It would not cost as much as a York-Brunner or other old fashioned instruments.

To any of the 5 valve and slide pulling experts I challenge you to play a fast triplet scale of three octaves starting on your fundamental! So far I haven't found anyone who can do that on equipment that is deficient in tubing length. Incidently, any good player can do that on a compensating or double tuba.

Follow Ups: