Re: Training/Pre-professional Orchestras...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Barry Guerrero on November 11, 1999 at 23:53:38:

In Reply to: Training/Pre-professional Orchestras... posted by Chuck on November 11, 1999 at 23:15:31:

In Europe, there's the Junge Deutsche Philharmonie (Young German Phil.), and the Gustav Mahler Youth Orchestra (which was founded by Claudio Abbado). I suppose neither one of those would help we Americans too much (?). Of course, there's the New World Symphony somewhere in Florida (help out here Floridians).

As an f.y.i., I just got a TERRIFIC Mahler 5th with the Junge Deutsche Phil. on the Laurel label (an American label) conducted by Rudolf Barshai. The big horn solos in the middle movement are excellent. Good tubist as well. It has absolutely the most powerful, loud tam-tam wallop (at the big spot towards the end of the second movement)that's ever been pulled off - makes for fun listening. Good, solid brass chorale just before that spot, and at the end of the finale as well.

I digress - didn't Zubin Mehta's dad have a big youth orchestra in L.A.? Tony Clements would know about that. Wasn't there something about his hearing, or health, or something else that kept him from being "big time"?

Follow Ups: