Re: Re: Re: Re: Why DO pros use different instruments?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Aubrey Foard on November 08, 2000 at 00:30:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Why DO pros use different instruments? posted by Horase D. on November 07, 2000 at 18:56:14:

No, I have no idea what Prokofiev had actually prefered, and I don't think any of us do... many pros could only guess... Ron Bishop or Abe Torchinsky may be able to give a more solid answer. Yes, I'm well aware that many tuba players go into an audition and just blast away at the lower register, thinking that this is the way it's supposed to sound. Quite to the contrary, most of the tuba line is written doubling the high brass or middle strings... not a good time for a heavy sound. The only reason I believe CC tuba should be used on Prokoiev 5 is for support purposes. To the credit of those who believe F (or Eb) tuba is better for this symphony, the London Symphony recorded this piece with Tilson Thomas in '91, a recording which I'm very proud to own. To my surprise, a friend told me that it was recorded with an Eb tuba. I'm not sure if this has any merit, but regardless, the sound is very light and very easy to listen to (also the strings are the strongest I've ever heard on a recording of Prok 5). The point? I believe the best solution is to play on a CC horn with the lightness and clarity of an F, but with the sound of a CC. Also, does anyone believe F tuba can be used for Bruckner 7, or Mahler 5? These in my mind are definitely CC pieces.

Follow Ups: