Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nel Culbertson tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by mat drever on November 05, 2002 at 22:34:22:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Nel Culbertson tubas posted by Rick Denney on November 05, 2002 at 09:22:04:

When you compare a german instrument to an american instrument, the result is, that generally speaking, the American tuba is wider, with a shorter leadpipe, and shorter tubing. The german style instruments are generally longer in tubing, have longer leadpipes, and acquire much of their "size" through the more gradual widening of the long tubing. This is why I think that American instruments suck the air out of you more, becasue they are generally thicker and shorter. Most "German" instruments (6/4) that I've picked up are a hell of a lot heavier than American type 6/4's like the MW Warren Deck horns, because of all that long tubing. The American ones are just generally shorter and fatter. As to the fact that Arnold Jacobs called it an old mans horn, sure.
What I like about the American style ones is that you can push as much air as you want into them, and the sound will get loader without getting edgy, or breaking up. Most German 6/4's produce nice big sounds, but have their structural limits in how much(depth, volume) you can do with them, though they tend to more versatille.
That's all just substantiation of my argument, but bottom line, I have to say that I agree with your beleif that the instrument chooses it's master. I play a PT series instrument, and I still have so say that I haven't found the horn that's got my name on it yet. I just can't put enough air into becasue it won't let me. The Kalison did though.

Follow Ups: