Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on November 14, 2002 at 15:31:23:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Anonymous German Eb Fanfare Helicon posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2002 at 14:58:51:

So, is the bell section soldered on?!? I can't imagine someone taking a first rate trombone and PERMANENTLY making a third-rate baritone out of it!!

If it's not soldered on, then I think the 88H would work okay (again, as long as the desired result is a third-rate baritone). Depending upon which version of the 88H wrap you have you might have to swing the bell section away from the valve section to make room for it, but I think it would be easy enough to manipulate the trigger with the left hand on the top bow, using the first or middle finger.

As to the mouthpiece, if you want to go off-the-shelf you might see if you can locate a Bach 3 or 4 small shank. I've played a 4G (large shank, rounder bowl), but the 3 looks like it might be just what you're looking for. According to MP express, who lists these for about $38, the Bach 3 has an "Extra-large cup for players with tuba lips". Or something like that. My best advice to you, though, whatever mouthpiece you play, is to play long tones between D and G above the staff to build endurance.

Good luck on the gigs!

Joe Baker, who wonders why tuba players get more 'bone gigs than he does.

Follow Ups: