Re: Alexander Stencil German Tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 26, 2002 at 13:26:35:

In Reply to: Alexander Stencil German Tubas posted by Dave on November 26, 2002 at 01:38:57:

TOP TEN REASONS THIS TUBA IS NOT AN ALEXANDER

(drum roll, please . . . )

1. Ferrules joining bottom bow to bell and top bow: On an Alex, these are detailed with two lines dividing the piece into thirds like the one pictured. But the Alex ferrules have the middle section narrower and "rounded" (thicker in the middle). The tuba in the picture has a very inexpensive, untextured ferrule that has the middle section much larger than the outer two.

2. Base Plates for thumb ring, lyre mount and strap rings: The tuba in the picture has diamond-shaped base plates with rounded corners and long edges that “scoop” in toward the center of the piece. The same parts on an Alex are straight-edged diamonds with rounded corners.

3. Strap Rings: This tuba has rectangular strap hooks while an Alex has rings that are roughly 1” o.d. made of thick rod stock.

4. Keel: This tuba has one of those keels that kill your leg, while the keel of an Alexander has a much lower profile and is not really noticeable when on your leg.

5. Rotor Caps: Alex caps are heavily figured. These are unfigured.

6. Water Key: Alexander water keys have a really beautifully shaped water key mounting bracket. This tuba has a very cheap chunk of U-shaped brass. Alex water keys are also a good bit larger than the one in the picture.

7. Large Braces: Note in the fourth photo the base of the two large braces. The bases of the tuning slide brace use semi-circular nickel silver rod stock. The brace between the tuning slide and the bottom bow uses sheet nickel silver on the bow side. All Alex braces used the more expensive (and nicer looking) rod stock on both ends, no matter how large the brace.

8. Platens: Alexander used finger platens like these, but I have only seen them mounted on clock spring drums. All of the platens on Alex spiral spring sets that I have seen have been shaped like “paddles” or “spatulas” and were larger than the ones used by Miraphone (to give you some sort of size reference). Additionally, note how the levers go on past the springs and curve around to the “front” of the large bar that holds the whole assembly together; on an Alex the levers are under the platens and “behind” this big bar.

9. Thumb Ring: Alexander used a VERY distinctive thumb ring - like none I have ever seen on other tubas.

10. Slide Legs: On this tuba, all of the slide legs (inner and outer) seem to be regular brass. Alexanders all have nickel silver inner and outer slide legs.

This horn is NOT an Alexander. I own two, one of which I play daily. There are a number of other differences as well. But you will see that this tuba is no Alexander.

What about the similarities?

I only see two real similarities that might be due to shared parts. The brace “posts” are similar (but I can’t see them clearly enough in the pictures to be sure) as are the rotor assemblies.

Alexander used many parts that were purchased from subcontractors and are shared with many brands. As an example, my wife plays on a Rauch french horn (Oslo, Norway). It is a really well built version of a Geyer-wrapped horn with a few changes in the design. When I first saw it I impressed her by saying “nice Alex”. She then told me that Dan Rauch built his instruments using many parts from the same supplier as Gebr. Alexander. So his instruments (at first glance) look like Alex horns.

My guess is that this is a Sonora or some other knock-off (Karl Zeiss maybe?). It “smells” Czech to me. If the valves and slides work really well and the pitch is okay it might make a good tuba for a high schooler or a weekend warrior. But it is not worth more than $1,800 tops - I would not give up more than $1,200 for it in its current condition. There are far too many used tubas in better condition to be had for just a little more bob.

Sorry for the long post!

Wade "realizing that all of my posts ramble on for too long when I have the day off" Rackley

Follow Ups: