Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by TubaRay on November 04, 2003 at 17:00:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: simple answers posted by jlb on November 04, 2003 at 16:24:03:

I believe the primary factor involved in the discussion of "leading the beat" is that of distance. Sound travels at the speed it travels(considerably slower than light). This would generally be measured in feet per second, I believe. I am not much of a scientist. This I admit freely. First, one must deal with the LENGTH of the instrument. The engineer types in the group can fill you in on that. Then there is the fact that tuba players are part of the elite "back row" players. This generally adds another 10 to 20 feet, or more. Tuba players, or should I say good tuba players, learn to compensate for this. Also, anyone who has blown a tuba and has also blown a flute will instantly be able to detect a dramatic difference in the response time of these two instruments.

To sum all that up: we tuba players learn that to be on time is to be late, and that to be early(albeit, only an iota of time) is to be on time. Or something like that.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

Ray Grim
The TubaMeisters
San Antonio, Texas

Follow Ups: