Re: Re: Re: simple answers

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jarrod on November 05, 2003 at 10:38:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: simple answers posted by Sean Chisham on November 04, 2003 at 12:47:11:

I think this is a completely valid argument....but only for smaller auditions. Not the NYP or even National. I think smaller, regional, or mid sized orchestras may have only one person who clearly outplays everyone else by so much that "flavor" becomes a non-issue.
Also, for violin, french horn, even trumpet auditions this may be true as well...(mid-sized again)because those players generally have more openings per year than tuba players, so ALL of the great players in the world are not going to show up.
There is no possible way that the committee was just thinking "Next, Next, Next, Next, Mr. Baer...woo, there's the one...Next, Next." The best tuba players in the world were at that audition. They absolutely were listening to what Flavor they wanted. Some of the best tuba players in the world probably didn't make it through the 7 prelim excerpts

oh well...I hope that they give Alan the job, if they don't they are going to be screwed over finding someone better

Follow Ups: