Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can i make my parents realize.......

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Wade on November 11, 2003 at 20:41:41:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: How can i make my parents realize....... posted by Elucidation... on November 11, 2003 at 17:27:04:

Our acceptance of so-called "modern" (lower) standards is quite alarming. If it sounds right to the ears of a poorly-educated child, then it must be correct grammar (based on standards set (or lowered) by our increasingly less-educated population).

People who truly "feel" that way about education ought to stay out of teaching, please.

This attitude is one that I face at schools where teacher-made wall posters proudly bear titles that read:

How the earth be orbiting the Sun

and

The affects of UV soler radiation on Houseplants

These posters were, by the way, written and illustrated by fully-certified classroom teachers. This is damn near scandalous to me. How can this be happening to our kids?

You wrote:

" . . . nowadays English isn't taught the same way as when we were mere striplings."

It would seem that English is not being taught at all these days. This crapola about the dropping of caps due to the Internet and Text Messaging is just pure, unadulterated laziness on the part of our society. It is just too hard to correct when teachers and parents see it as okay for standards to erode (or disappear).

At one of our local "Institutions of Lower Learning", I once saw a sign displayed that read:

Only Standard English
Will Be Used On This Campus
And In These Classrooms

What the hell is "Standard English"? I mean, I know all about that argument. But how did this problem develop such pervasiveness? In my opinion, it starts with the awarding of Degrees to unqualified people, who then damage our kids by letting them grow up thinking that "thru" and "alot" are words. We have far too many colleges and universities that are "managed" like corporations; they must let standards slide in order to keep classes full and the stream of money flowing.

Wade "i ben thru alot of classes to git my educaton.wheres my job at?" Rackley

Follow Ups: