Re: BBb 4-valves / CC 5-valves - why?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on November 20, 2003 at 18:55:06:

In Reply to: BBb 4-valves / CC 5-valves - why? posted by bloke on November 20, 2003 at 15:13:43:

You are correct.

However in the orchestral literature and some of the Grainger stuff, you'll run into some low Eb's. In this instance, a BBb with 5 valves would normally offer superior intonation over a CC tuba. Hopefully a few less turns are involved also, making the note feel a little more open, in addition to the fact that you are using less "straight" pipe.

I currently own two tubas a CC and BBb. The CC is a nice 5 valve "pro" model instrument. The BBb is a 3 valve conglomeration that is simply a BIG horn. Due to the fact that the pitch is better on the BBb with only three valves, even on C and B natural (1-3,123), the BBb is getting a lot more playing time. It also is very easy to play in general due to it's size and "sought after" large branch design.

One of these days I am going to graft either a four or five valve set onto the BBb. The only issue will be how much money I feel like spending, because, as you said, Eb rarely pops up, and the pitch is good enough on this horn, I don't think I will need the 5th vavle for any "alternate" fingerings.

I would like to thank Chuck(G) for selling me the BBb. I have logged a lot of time on it considering my schedule and how long I have had it. Now I know what Rick Denney is talking about with his Holton BBb.Except mine is older, and possibly might have pre Holton (York made) large branches. The F below the staff is in tune to boot.

On another sidenote, it seems that a lot of manufacturers used to build releatively in tune 3 valve horns. I have played a TON of old 3-bangers that had very good intonation and required little adjustment "on the fly." For that reason alone, the fourth valve seem to be only for extension of the range. However, today, too many people let a horns poor intonation slide because of all alternate fingerings the extra valve allows. Seems to me, if the builders could get a horn relatively in tune with three valves and vork from there, we wouldn't have so many "stinkers" floating around.

Matt "serious amatuer" G

Follow Ups: