Florida Philharmonic Orchestra Strike

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on October 20, 2000 at 21:22:38:

Just to let all you Tube-Net readers know, the orchestra I play with has been on strike now for the last 4 weeks. Yesterday, the management of the orchestra canceled this year's season. Obviously, this is not what the musicians wanted but our management has decided to play a very hard brand of ball during this year's negotiations. We continue to fight for a settlement but until management comes back to the table, we must sit and wait. Ironically, wages are not the issue since we agreed to their financial package. At issue are a laundry list of 16 take backs in our CBA, the most severe of which emasculates our non-renewal language.

I regret that I haven't been able to post as much on the Tube-Net as I usually do but I'm on the Orchestra Committee which is negotiating for the musicians and I've been pretty busy lately ;-). I encourage those of you in professional orchestras around the country to write emails and letters of support to my colleagues here in South Florida. Also, please visit our website and read about all that is going on with the strike. There will be articles forthcoming in future issues of Senza Sordino and the International Musician.

And if you're looking for a high quality large size CC tuba, my Cervany 601 is still available for a newly reduced price of $4500 plus delivery. (Sorry for the brief commercial).

Follow Ups: