Weril 980 4/4 4-piston BBb comments/pics

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on October 29, 2001 at 23:12:30:

Some people have been asking about the new large Weril model 980 4-piston BBb tuba.

The secret is that there are no secrets, but there are a few surprises. The Weril 980 couldn't possibly be a closer copy of the Yamaha 321 BBb. Its simply a "dead ringer". Not only is the Weril 980 exactly like the Yamaha 321 BBb in every way, it even has the same detachable braces and detachable mouthpipe features. Further, the 980 is the first Weril tuba to feature "slot" valve guides (like everyone else's), rather than the disc-and-stick system that we've seen with the nifty Weril 3/4 tubas and euphoniums.

The nice surprises include:

- The Weril 980, unlike the Yamaha 321, seems to play quite "open". Further, the notes on the Weril 980 in the middle high and high range are defined, easy to attach, and slur/center well. In fact, above open "d", there are virtually no pitch "issues" whatsoever, as everything seems to line up very well with "in tune". (Heck, I have no idea why the "blow" seems to be nicer on the Weril than on the Yamaha. Again, they look identical.)

- its PRICE. Just like the other Weril instruments, the big 980 is an incredible bargain. Depending on whether one might wish to wait for a "demo" instrument (perhaps some small repaired acid bleed[s] and/or a thumbnail-sized dent, etc.) or whether one might just want a "first run" complete with hard case, the price of this instrument dwells from the middle to the upper $2XXX range...quite impressive for a high quality 4-piston, full size instrument with a legitimate U.S.A. warranty center to back it up (D.E.G. Music...ie: Willson importers, etc.)

Just like any tuba, this one has its intonation quirks. I found the following (refreshingly, no "sharp" pitches, and only a few "flat" ones):

- open "third line" D is considerably flat, but is easily "lip-able" to within close acceptability. Just like other tubas that have this problem, with C#, and C, the problem decreases in severity. Of course, these pitches can be put "right on the money" using the standard alternates (that many folks seem to have adopted as "primary" fingerings).

- Open "bottom of the staff" F is a little flat, but can be finessed right in tune.

- The Ab around the bottom of the staff is pretty darn flat, but useable. The other Ab's and Eb's (the other #1 piston pitches) are fine.

(I can't remember which notes on the Yamaha 321 are "stinkers", so I can't do a "back-to-back" comparison of which tuba has they least number of out-of-tune pitches.)

I was able to play a fundamental (Many refer to this range of pitches as "pedal".) BBb with a "ho-hum" mouthpiece that doesn't particularly "like" to play low notes (an old beat up Conn 2) quite easily, and without a warm-up...This was a surprise.

Anyway, I'd pick this tuba over ANY Yamaha 321 BBb that I've played, whether or not the Weril 980 price was significantly lower than the Yamaha 321 (sort of like my opinion of the Weril euphonium vs. the Yamaha 321 euphonium). If a "new-in-the-box" Yamaha 321 BBb tuba wasn't already obsolete, it surely now is.

Here is a pic of the Weril 980 BBb:

Follow Ups: