Re: tips on wearing a sousaphone

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on September 02, 2002 at 11:14:47:

In Reply to: tips on wearing a sousaphone posted by Keneth Sloan on September 01, 2002 at 22:52:03:

thanks for the replies so far.

I apologize for not being clear. I have some decent pictures, and know the result I want when I see it - but this is really a question about "how do you convey this information quickly and correctly to the average high school bandie?"

That seems to require a few easy-to-check objective tests.

For example...on your favorite sousaphone - if you assemble it "correctly" and lay it on the floor - does the bell rim touch the floor? If not...how far off the floor is it?

As for the gooseneck/bits - is there a "one-size-fits-all" configuration, or is it a matter of personal fitting.

also on the gooseneck...I'm a "hands-off" kind of guy, but I'm not sure if *everyone* can control *every* sousaphone out there without occasionally grabbing the gooseneck.

Finally...I know that in my marching days we had no problem wearing a hat (and plume), because the bell was well out of the way (I think that some players had to put on the hat AFTER putting on the sousaphone.) Nowadays, the trend seems to motivate the sousaphone section with different headwear (usually berets). My question is...if the goal is to wear the horn correctly, does is work to REQUIRE that there be enough room for hat (and plume)? Or, are there legitimate reasons why this might be a problem?

Cruel correspondents may wish to consult the pictures at:

my home page

(click on individual pictures - especially the grainy one - to see bigger versions) and critique *my* old fashioned style. Before you jump on me for the shot where I'm wearing a beret, note that *everyone* in that band wore one! Other than that...have at it - what would you change?

Follow Ups: