About different cultures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Samuli Rask on April 21, 2001 at 02:10:22:

Isnīt that interesting how much different can different playing cultures are? For instance, here in Finland "everybody" uses F and CC tubas. Thatīs just the way it is - the sound ideal is like that. I Just bought a F tuba because of that. Earlier I played mainly on Eb. It might even be that later I must change my small Yamaha F to some larger german rotary valve instrument to get just the "right" sound, a solid but big and dark F tuba sound, not a Yamaha type of bright sound.

In the orchestra you should have a CC tuba. A Sovereign Eb tuba hasnīt got the right sound, although it would have a pretty good range and playability.

On the other hand, in England almost everything is played on Besson Sovereign. There itīs a right instrument for everything. In Russia people use mostly BBflats.

So what do you think? How much should people go along with culture? At least I think that thereīs no point to being original if you canīt get any jobs playing wrong type of instruments. At the same time itīs a shame when all the players are alike.

How are things in other countries? I know that this site is mostly being read in America, but if there are tubists from other countries too, please comment.

Follow Ups: