Re: About different cultures

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on April 21, 2001 at 10:11:32:

In Reply to: About different cultures posted by Samuli Rask on April 21, 2001 at 02:10:22:

I'd say that here in America, what matters is how you sound, not what key of tuba you play. In the digital age it is easy to get commentary from diverse schools of thought and the discerning player takes advantage of that information. The world truly is becoming a smaller place and the inclusion of ideas from around the world is a very good thing, in my opinion. Just listening to other players from all over the world describing their approaches has really enhanced my perspective on how I do my job. I believe that in the years to come, we'll see a melding of the best of these ideas and an overall more uniform approach to playing. I don't necessarily think this is a bad thing because we are all individuals and there will still always be that one player who does things a special way. Since the tuba is such a relatively young instrument, it seems to me that there is still room to grow and taking into consideration the wide range of "tuba" parts we are asked to play (cimbasso, ophicliede, serpent, bass tuba, contrabass tuba, bass trombone, etc.) I think there will always be an element of specialization to the art where a given player will customize his equipment to best match the kind of playing s/he does. Ultimately, I think it still comes down to what combination of equipment makes you sound the best you can. Until we are all physically identical, the variation in choices will be that wide.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: