Re: auditions and BAT's

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by jeff miller on April 24, 2003 at 17:18:44:

In Reply to: auditions and BAT's posted by Jim L. on April 24, 2003 at 10:43:41:

I've never won a major job in a US symphony, so who am I to offer advice, but:

I find it very interesting how much people on this list DON'T talk about the importance of playing musically - both during auditions and during general playing.

I did an audition for the Met a few years ago, and was talking to Damian Austin, one of their trombonists. He said that what he realised after getting his job was how much the committee didn't care about the occasional clipped note, and how much they did care about someone being able to craft a nice phrase shape.

I think we need to ask ourselves why we play the tuba; is it to attempt to create new ways of expressing messages through music, or merely an attempt to recreate someone else's concept as nearly as possible.

Personally, I go for the first. As I said, I've never won a major audition, but I've done well in a couple. Also, I'd rather be my own player than be constantly worried about living up to someone else's expectations of what my playing should be like. That sounds a little bit too much like a real job to me.

Jeff

Follow Ups: