Re: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve W on December 17, 2001 at 10:26:35:

In Reply to: Re: Decisions...Decisions...Decisions... posted by Ken Sturgeon on December 17, 2001 at 04:10:39:

What is best for the group outweighs what is best for the one student. This is where this director is coming from (not that I support it). I taught in TX for a few years and was told by a 4A director which setup I should use for each instrument and that they should all be the same. I guarantee that every clarinet at your school had the same instrument, the same mouthpiece and ligature, and the same reeds. Reason, the sound will be different if a student has a Vandoren 5RV Lyre with a Bonade ligature on a Leblanc clarinet while everyone else had a B45 with a Rovner lig on a Buffet and that one different student will sound different. I sort of looked at him cross-eyed thinking that everybody's lips, oral cavity, teeth, size, etc. are all different. I started to mention it to him and he said that everybody on the same instrument would solve one, big variable and the military bands are all equipped with the same instruments.

Follow Ups: