Re: Re: Re: Low Register

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on February 14, 2000 at 00:09:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Low Register posted by Joe S. on February 13, 2000 at 21:20:19:

That's an interesting test. I tried the same thing and I discovered that I am allowing air behind my teeth all the time and in all ranges. But I use almost no mouthpiece pressure, just enough to seal the mouthpiece against my face, so maybe that's why I can get away with that. What I really watch for is a massive dropping of the jaw. The bad habit I developed early in my playing was to drop the jaw massively and then turn my bottom lip almost inside out to get anything lower than pedal Eb. I still have this nifty embouchure that I can use in that range which is all bottom lip. I can really rip the notes out but the sound is not pleasant at louder volumes. It is also a completely different sound than I normally play with so it isn't really of much use. I found that if I keep from dropping my jaw massively, the whole process doesn't get started and I can avoid moving in the low range. But it is a real struggle in the extreme low range. I guess old habits die hard! I have to really focus on the corners staying at home and things fall into place after that.

Follow Ups: