Re: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin'

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on January 15, 2001 at 02:39:31:

In Reply to: Re: OK, enough jawin' and worryin' posted by Chuck(G) on January 15, 2001 at 01:09:58:

I put off indefinitely a really great sounding/responding FrankenCC because of that same ol' sharp 6th & 8th partial thing. This one that REMAINS in a cardboard box collecting dust has a big 20" Cleveland EEb bell, a Reynolds 4/4 (ala detach recording bell model) BBb body and a 36K .734" (Conn sousa) valveset that I silverbrazed into a 4-banger.

NOW, the one that I AM working on (the York Master) has the (German) York Master branches, .750" 4 valveset, and a (Grand Rapids) York BBb ("long" model - but chopped way short on the bottom) almost 19" bell. THE reason that I am taking on this project is because neither the high g (4th space) NOR c (one ledger above, ie: "middle" c) are sharp (at least not in BBb or BB natural). I'm hoping this good intonation "holds" for CC. The third space E is a wee bit flat (about like Miraphone). All else is-a nice-a. The tone is marvelous (a LOT of in-tune 12th partial "g" sound in the tone of the low (two ledger) "C", and the slurs are effortless - like playing a baritone horn.

Follow Ups: