What's a guy to do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dan on January 28, 2002 at 23:04:38:

I was at this high school area honors band this last saturday, made up of a bunch of the better players from around my conference. I was one of four tubas, and we had plenty of sound for the band, but one of the tuba players just refused to play anything but double forte. Don't get me wrong, I like to play loud too, but this was way out of place. I told the guy to take it easy on the volume when it wasn't necessary, but that didn't do much to stop him. The directors made some comments too, but luckily, I was playing on a conn 20J, with the front facing bell, so what they said was pretty much directed at me. I'm not really mad at the directors, as they only had a certain amount of time to put together their one song for the day, but it still wasn't much fun to get blamed for this guy's lack of musicality.

So, what is a guy supposed to do in this situation? Am I just taking this too seriously, considering that it was just a one day event that really didn't count for much? I know I probably won't be in this position again, but I guess I was just wondering if any of you have been here before and what a guy is supposed when things like this happen.

Follow Ups: