Re: Mouthpiece Question

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on March 29, 1999 at 19:06:41:

In Reply to: Mouthpiece Question posted by Brian on March 26, 1999 at 22:15:40:

Not to be disrespectful of the opinions expressed prior to this post but I would be VERY wary of any system that involves using different embouchure positions in different ranges of the horn. Such a system is the surest way, in my opinion, to have an inconsistent sound, range to range, and also a good way to be tired in the embouchure from shifting around. I'm not going to tell you it is impossible to play a consistent sound using different embouchures but I think it is obvious that you would have a better chance of being consistent if the mechanics of your playing are also consistent. I just don't believe in any "magic" or "special power" of the body that will transform inconsistent procedures into consistent results. Keeping a consistent embouchure is, in my opinion, the best way to ensure that your sound is consistent throughout the ranges of the instrument.

The funny thing I've realized about playing with a consistent embouchure is that I also play with what I consider to be a more characteristic sound. I find that the discipline involved in maintaining a consistent embouchure leads to an overall better understanding of how the embouchure works and thus a heightened awareness of what kinds of problems to beware of and avoid. As a result, my accuracy has increased dramatically and I am less tired from all the shifting around. The most noticable change in my playing was how much better my sound was in the upper range (where before I had been shifting and squeezing) and how much longer I could play up there and never get tired.

Good luck in your search for truth in playing!

Follow Ups: