Re: Why did Conn stop making 20Js

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on May 23, 2001 at 12:07:57:

In Reply to: Why did Conn stop making 20Js posted by Jamel Beslow on May 23, 2001 at 09:26:02:

I know that the 20Js are certainly something different to march with, but why would you want to? You are forcing people to hold a 6/4 sized, top action, tuba in front of their body which must be a killer on the back, no matter what kind of strap or harness you use. Getting 20K sousaphones would give you the exact same valves and bore and almost the same sound in a lot easier to carry package.

The only reason that I can think of for Conn discontinuing the 2XJ series is that they weren't selling enough of them to make a profit. It also seems to me that they were discontinued during the time that Conn moved manufacturing to Texas, during which time they were really cutting back. I would love to see a 4 valve bell front, front action BBb tuba with the body of a 2XJ, but I would doubt that there would be enough profit in it for anyone to make a production version of this.

Recording bells have also gone out of favor. Most directors want a less directional tuba sound and that calls for an upright bell. Once UMI switches to the new 2341 I don't know of any production model bell front tubas that will be made.

Follow Ups: