Good Mouthpieces for Beginners?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Keilly on October 05, 2003 at 21:47:23:

I am an educator and a tuba player. I would like to get some opinions on good beginning mouthpieces for my beginning tuba and euphonium players. Currently I have my tuba students purchase Bach 24AW and my euphonium players get Bach 12 1/2AL.

I am personally very fond of the Perantucci mouthpieces. (I play on a PT50 myself) I would like my students to play on perhaps a PT48 in High School, but I have always worried that such a mouthpiece would be too big for a beginning student. I recently had a student move in from another district that had him purchase a Schilke mouthpiece. He seems to be doing fine on it. I simply have no clue what good euphonium mouthpieces are out there.

I would like to have my students purchase a quality mouthpiece from the get go. I work in an impovrished school district, so not many of the kids have the means to get more than one mouthpiece in their playing career. Have any of you had experiences, good or bad, with some of the better quality mouthpieces out there? Any input I can get would be helpful.

Thank you for your consideration.

Follow Ups: