Learn Baritone? Or not?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jacob Morgan on October 16, 2003 at 18:41:39:

Hey, I have recently found out that if its possible my band will have 2 concert bands, Also that you can be in two bands if youc an play another instrument for the other band.

Well ofcourse I will play tuba in the "better" band, however I CAN either play sax(I can already play this good) OR learn baritone.

Now heres the deal, I can play baritone. I can pick one up and play all my marching pieces on the bariton, and I understand that B.C. Baritone music is written 1 octave above tuba music, so I can learn this fairly easily and play it.

Would this be worht my while to learn? Currently when I play harder stuff(all region etc.) I NEVER have a problem with low notes, ever. However high notes do give me a bit of a challenge. My range right now ends about the Bb on top the staff, however I can't pickup my tuba and go ok heres a high Bb, I can pick my tuba up adn go heres a F and play it.

I've heard playing baritone will expand your high range but make your low range stuffy, will it if I play both equal if not tuba more then baritone? Right now I can't play much above a Bb on baritone(the middle Bb) I assume if I get to where I have a decent range on baritone i'll have a increased range on tuba. h

So I guess the bottom line, would it be beneficial to me to learn/play baritone along with tuba to increase my range?

Thanks in advance,

Jacob

P.S. I'll still play Saxophone(for fun) in jazz band and woodwind(if we have it..)

Follow Ups: