Re: New tuba for Brandon

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug on September 08, 2003 at 20:52:22:

In Reply to: New tuba for Brandon posted by Brandon Ostrom on September 08, 2003 at 19:39:20:

Unless you're willing to pull slides/work really hard, 3 valves will probably make you hat the living hell out of the next horn pretty soon. I know there are some phenominal 3-valvers out there, but mostly on a 3-valve horn the excellent sound will be fine until you play a low C, B natural, or low F, then your excellent sound won't really matter because you'll be so out of tune that the dead rise up and throttle you.

"Keys" are rotary valves. Some claim roatary valves provide smoother articulation, while pistons make everything sharp and clear. I think that's a load of dingo's kidneys. It's alla bout personal preference--how they feel, how well you sound on them.

However, if a 3 valve, BBb, 4/4 with an excellant sound is really waht you want, the price range can be anywhere from a few hundred bucks on eB** to a couple of thousand for some used horns.

I'd say, go somewhere and try a bunch of horns, 3 and 4 valve,piston and roatary, and see what's out there. You're either very specialized, or very ignorant (no offense meant by the word), based on what you're looking for. If it's the first, you'll ahve no trouble. If it's the second, go to a reputable store and try out a lot of horns.

I hope I've been helpful,

Doug

Follow Ups: