Re: Where's the tuba?!!

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lee Stofer on December 01, 2002 at 16:23:37:

In Reply to: Where's the tuba?!! posted by Dan Schultz on December 01, 2002 at 13:12:15:

Dan,
I think tuba(AT)bassguitar missed your point. I took the family to the "Greatest Show on Earth" at Phillips Arena in Atlanta a couple of years back, expecting to hear a circus band. What I heard was a large combo, with electric bass, drum set, much synth work, a trumpet or two, trombone, and a couple of woodwind doublers. I guess it is another sign of the times.
I played bass trombone for an annual full big band gig last year, and was surprised when they asked me to play 2nd trombone this year. At first I was wondering, "Did they not like my bass 'bone playing?". When I got to the gig, I felt fortunate, for the 23-piece show was now a 15-piece show, and there were now only two trombones.
I consider the electric bass to be an occasionally necessary evil, and try to use a tuba or upright bass if at all possible. The tuba is an extremely versatile instrument that can play just about any type of popular music. I would suspect that anyone who has heard Marty Erickson and his combo or Andy K. and the Dixie Power Trio would be believers in the cause!

Lee Stofer

Follow Ups: