Re: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mr. Curious on February 06, 2001 at 10:41:32:

In Reply to: Re: Human Error in Tuba Making posted by Matt Walters on February 05, 2001 at 20:42:22:

I regret mentioning that I had a tuba involved, because it has distracted readers from the point of my post and turned it into a repairman defense seminar.

But since you brought it up.......

Do you think the repairman carefully measured the gap, and drew a diagram of where each little variance occured before he worked his magic? He couldn't restore the horn to its exact original condition if he wanted. And if it happens to be an instrument someone loves, being close to the way it was just isn't good enough.

More importantly, after a repairman makes a change that HE thinks improves the horn, how receptive do you think he'll be to putting it back the way it was? I'm sure you'll post that the happiness of the customer is the top priority, etc. but the reality I've seen when I bring something back is repairmen who get offended, surly, don't have time for you, and then do a half-assed job. Then, of course, they smile and say to bring it back again if there are any problems. I'd rather not.

Follow Ups: