TRAVEL ALERT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David Zerkel on February 24, 2002 at 20:35:35:

Just wanted to drop a note to share my travel experiences over the weekend and to let those of you who might be flying with tubas soon that the "friendly skies" aren't so friendly anymore.

I flew down to San Antonio to perform (AT) TMEA. I was traveling with my PT-15 in a Walt Johnson Case. The first leg of my trip was AirTran and that went okay (more on AirTran later) The next leg of my trip was with American Airlines. Upon checking in, the guy eyeballed the tuba and stated that I would be charged excess baggage. I pleaded my case, saying that in 20 years of travel, I'd never been charged this before. He was not impressed, and stated (just a bit too gleefully) "Well, that's going to change tonight!" $150 later, I was on my way to San Antonio. When I arrived in San Antonio, I learned that I had paid $150 for the privilege of having AA lose my horn. I was torqued... Ultimately, it did show up in time for the rehearsal the next morning. Scott Watson was also pegged for $170 each way.

Fearing my trip home, I was happy to see a skycap on the curb in San Antonio. I tipped him generously and avoided the excess baggage fee. I thought I was home free. When I got to Dallas and checked in, AirTran weighed my instrument at 75 lbs. (5 lbs. over) and said that THE HORN COULD NOT GO ON THE PLANE!!! At this point, excess baggage charges seemed almost like a good idea. I was incredulous and asked what my choices were. The angry "customer service" manager said that I could buy a seat for the tuba at $256, or get on the plane without my horn. $256 later I was on my way to Atlanta, with my horn in its bag strapped in next to me on the plane. You know the rest...I got to Atlanta and they had lost the flight case.

Originally my ticket to San Antonio was $349. My final airfare figure ended up at $755.(for a pro bono gig) The real bummer about the whole scenario is that they get you in a situation where the only acceptable solution is to comply with the airline's greed driven policies.

With auditions coming up, I thought you should know of at least two airlines to avoid. I'm firing off some pretty eloquent Nasty-Grams to the airlines, but know that it will be an exercise in futility. God bless Walt Johnson for giving us a case that the baggage handlers can't mangle, but if you have a flight case or a trunk, expect to get similar treatment from the airlines. If this was a $400 overcharge for an F tuba, I can only guess what would happen if you showed up with a BAT and an F.

Caveat Emptor!
DZ

Follow Ups: