gubmunt 'poser goes on tirade at concert

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by js on March 16, 2002 at 09:46:29:

Yep, a member of my favorite group of folks, people payed by the government (at state university departments of music) to compose unlistenable and uninspired music - and to teach their disciples to do the same, has struck again.

Last night at a Memphis Symphony concert (according to The [Memphis] Commercial Appeal and I was REALLY hoping that the review was online so I could link it for you), apparently a Kamran Ince (University of Memphis music faculty) "made a surprise and
'livid' appearance onstage before [his composition, "Academica"] was played, lashing out at an embarrassed symphony management, which neglected to put any information about the piece or Ince in the program."

I sincerely hope that this incident taught the Memphis Symphony management, as well as the Music Director, not to offer any "nicey-nice" gestures to the local mediocracy in the future, and to try to program what their patrons really wish to hear which is m-u-s-i-c. I would predict (admittedly, just guessing) that Mr. Ince's legacy will not make it to the end of his lifetime, much less to the end of his career. Further, as I've offered in the past, I challenge 99% of these "government composers" or their disciples to (collectively, to give them a fair chance via thousands of submissions) compose a listenable 128...no, that's too much to ask - a 64-bar piece in D major (far too many harmonic rules to follow in minor keys, so that would be unfair) for four like instruments in D Major.

Follow Ups: