Seeking advice on protecting the shine

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Erica on November 20, 2002 at 14:49:07:

I'm writing this post in sheer frustration, my horn is only a few weeks old (an e-bay special) gift. While the horn may or may not have been used before I became it's owner, when I got it, it was in a reasonably 'excellent' condition.

The make is Jinbao, so far I'm far from impressed with it. I noticed after a rehersal with a local band that the area on the front of the horn where my hand rests was absolutely milky white. The rehersal was only 2 hours long, and I'd washed my hands before playing with the same soap I've used for years. I noticed also on the valves were the same milky spots where my figners rest. (I've included an image of this it's not the best image but it shows the middle valve key where it has gone milky.)

I wipe my horn after every rehersal and give it a full wipe down once a week in between rehersals. I can't polish the mark out, I'm afraid to try any polish brands for fear of doing more harm.

Any ideas? I've tried to write to the maker but their website is all in japanses/chinese (?) and only roughly translates. I've not recieved a reply from them.

Help!!

~Tubador

Follow Ups: