Re: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Sean Chisham on August 15, 2000 at 01:51:25:

In Reply to: Re: Opening in US Army Band, Pershing's Own posted by Chuck Jackson-SEAN READ THIS on August 14, 2000 at 20:42:50:

Guess I assumed this to be common knowledge.

You can't be too overweight to enlist and must be able to maintain an age based level of physical readiness at all times to continue serving in the US Army. Physical readiness consists of weight standards and a bi-yearly physical fitness test consisting of pushups, situps, and a 2 mile run. It is just part of being a soldier.

If you need specifics on the entrance requirements or the bi-yearly weigh in and PT test, then contact your local recruiter. (S)he will have a chart with the exact figures for your age, sex, and height.

Basically speaking, body fat needs to be below around 22-24% to stay in and something like 26-28% or somesuch to enter basic combat training. 2 mile run maximum time is in the range of 15:00-17:00 for men. Pushups around 40 or so in 2 minutes and situps around 45 or so in 2 minutes. These are guesses I am pulling from memory on the minimum standards for men. Again, ask the recruiter for the specifics.

You also need a relativelly clean background in order to obtain the required Top Secret clearance to support the White House when needed. White House work is mainly for the Marine Band, but all the bands get involved from time to time. So if you have any convictions or deep dark secrets which Uncle Sam may frown upon, then you are most likely not eligible either.

sean
Disclaimer - I am wearing my unofficial hat for this one. Nothing I say on this topic is warranted.

Follow Ups: