Silver plating......a Mel Culbertson 6/4

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis Hale on November 28, 2001 at 09:52:20:

I recently aquired 2 very small dents in my Mel culbertson 6/4 through my "dent bag". Insurance is going to pay to have them repaired. Removing the dents only costed about 75.00 but the lacquer on the whole horn has to be stripped and then refinished. This is needed because the gold lacquer is very hard to match. Insurance will pay for everthing. So, for a little more money the horn can be silver plated. This makes it possible for me to get my horn silver plated for about 300.00.

I can get the frosty silver with contrasting polished nickle silver look or the complete polished silver look. I can even mix silver finish with a contrasting brass look or what ever we come up with. Now I am looking for everyones opinions and experience with silver v/s lacquer on the care, cleaning, longevity of , a basic "how you thing it will look". Any info on how the playing will be better, worse or same and anything I haven't thought of. Anderson would do the plating.

My wife thinks the gold finish is better looking and I think silver would be very nice. I play it, she looks at it and is careful not to ram the vacuum into it.

Follow Ups: