Re: Re: Re: Making a living (and paying loans)

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by pro-reality on September 21, 2003 at 13:11:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Making a living (and paying loans) posted by Sean Chisham on September 21, 2003 at 12:13:05:

and all those whose lifetimes occurred prior to gubment college loans (for instance: Great Depression era college students...such as *my parents, etc.) simply shrugged their shoulders and sat on the edges of their beds because there were no gubment college loans to "rescue" them and to turn their desires into realities.

-js

*My Dad, for instance, worked in Kansas in the coal pits and did railroad maintenance during the summers and between semesters at the University of Iowa. My grandfather, though he had a pretty good job, really couldn't help out my Dad much because my grandfather had to pay for my aunt's deaf school and my uncle's epilepsy treatment/medication. My Mom's dad had lost his job because of the depression, so she earned money modelling, would save up enough for tuition, would go back to school a semester or two at a time until she ran out of money, and then went back to modelling, etc. When there weren't as many modelling jobs, she would attend a cheaper-tuition school for a semester. ' seems to me this patience and hard work (just to earn the privilege of attending college) contributed to my parents' character, their appreciation of their education, and their lifetime achievements. My Dad, with his business degree, ended up being in upper management in a large corporation (and was president of the corporation's employee's credit union "as a side job"). My Mom, whose hard word and determination earned her a spot in Grant Wood's studio (University of Iowa - 1930's) immediately got a job as a commercial artist after college...this, (again) during the Great Depression when no one was hiring commercial artists.

Follow Ups: