Re: Discriminated BBb and Eb ???

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on June 15, 2002 at 10:52:36:

In Reply to: Discriminated BBb and Eb ??? posted by Volker on June 15, 2002 at 09:37:14:

The biases you speak about have existed for a long time in this country but I believe they are rapidly changing. When I bought my first Eb tuba, back in the early 1980's, there were very few really good Eb horns to choose from. The numbers of available, high quality Eb tubas since then has more than tripled I would guess. The really high end Eb horns (in my opinion) like the Willson Eb, were completely unavailable. If a tuba player back then wanted to play a good Eb tuba, the best examples were from Boosey/Besson and required the player to use a compensating horn that is configured in the valves as 3+1. Many tuba players, I would wager, were not used to that type of configuration and, like myself, found it uncomfortable to use. A horn like the current Willson Eb (and there are others), with all five valves on the right hand and having such high standards of construction, intonation, and sound output were unknown even 15 years ago.

I agree with you completely about how the manufacturers follow the trends in the market regarding the pricing and production of types of instruments they can sell. This fad-based direction actually reveals the rising popularity of the both the BBb and Eb tubas, as evidenced by the rapidly increasing numbers of choices of those instruments available. I'd have to do some research to be sure but my impression is that F tubas and CC tubas are roughly the same, give or take, in numbers and quality levels as they have been for many years. On the other hand, BBb and Eb tubas have markedly increased in numbers of instruments offered and the overall quality level of those horns. For example, how many options did you have 20 years ago if you wanted a 5 valve BBb tuba? How about a 5 valve Eb tuba? My recollection is that such horns were quite rare, if they were to be found at all.

The current balance is by no means equal at this point. There are still more high quality CC and F tuba choices than BBb and Eb. But that gap is closing. At the top end of the scale, my impression is that the very best CC and F tubas play no better than the best BBb and Eb tubas. The only difference now is that there are still more choices among the CC and F tubas but the top end quality levels are the same. We may or may not see that gap disappear but my guess is that the pendulum is already swinging the other way and, as a generation of players and teachers who are used to the old norms retires, we may see even more widespread use of the BBb and Eb tubas in this country, especially professionally. Being a CC and Eb player myself, I find this a welcome development!

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: