Re: Our business

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 05, 2003 at 15:07:19:

In Reply to: Our business posted by Needs to be said on May 05, 2003 at 14:27:15:

Yet another diatribe to the plight of our poor, underpaid symphony musicians. Let's all sit and talk about how badly we feel that those greedy athletes get so much money. Never mind that millions of people pay to see them perform and generate the income they receive (when was the last time the government had to subsidize a professional sports team?). And those lawyers - they certainly don't EARN their money, either. Forget the fact that their compensation comes directly from their clients and damages received from opposing parties (no pungent government hand-out smell here, either).

What amazes me is this - many posters on this BBS seem to think that because a person is musically talented, works hard to develop that talent, and finally lands a performing job with that ability that they are somehow ENTITLED to a particular level of income. This is the worst kind of class envy - because so-and-so gets X dollars for playing baseball at a high level, this guy over here who plays cello in the local symphony at the same high level should receive the same amount. This idea is as Marxist as any I can think of.

In our free society, a job is worth exactly what an employer (in this case, orchestra management) is willing to pay. That amount is directly related to business income, which in the case of professional orchestras has been steadily declining. Want to help? Go buy season tickets, and encourage your friends and associates to do the same.

I'm personally offended that you think no one would want to "get that good" without the assurance of a high income. People should strive for excellence in whatever they do, not for the monetary rewards, but rather the much more important personal rewards. The fact that we as tuba players have better competition now is fantastic - it pushes every player that aspires to play professionally to better themselves constantly. Most performance majors know deep down what they're getting into from a potential employment standpoint (and if they don't - shame on their teachers). They do it anyway for the love of the art.

I agree with you that we should all fight to keep the symphonies alive - but sitting around complaining about incomes is a liberal's folly. I'm not going to go there. No one is ENTITLED to "enjoy the finer things in life" - it comes with hard work, dedication, and a lot of luck. Whether I have respect for the masters of our craft or not (and of course all of us here do) doesn't affect the situation at all. Contrary to popular belief, how you feel about the way things are doesn't change one iota the way things are.

Please cancel my invitation to the pity party. I'm going to go practice.

Follow Ups: