Tubists and women

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Volker on September 04, 2002 at 09:55:39:

I know that this topic might be provoking some serious and some less serious comments. Maybe it should be considered with some portion of humor anyway.
From my point of view, in countless movies and literature, but also in personal talks, I have got the impression, that certain instruments and their players are given some touch of pseudo-erotic attributes. So, I found for example, that women sometimes made admiring and enthusiastic comments about saxophonists, drummers, and trumpet soloists - of course in a context with the way they play their instruments (sound and/or expressing and exposing themselves by/trough their instrument). Anyway, there seems to exist some radiation from certain instruments to the players (handsome or ugly, charming or rude) as some kind "credit".
I wonder about the tubists' prestige and esteem in this direction. I personally don't care, but I think, in this case you cannot count on a slogan like "the bigger the better".
So, could it be, that we tubists don't incorporate the charm of a sax player, but rather the solidity and power of a midwest farmer - maybe in spite of being a highly educated tuba professor? What do you guys think, is it the instrument, or is it the limited possibilities of show effects that makes the difference in public prestige (towards non-experts)?
Enough of provoking questions, but you may allow them, since I am sitting in your boat.
Volker"who is loved by his wife independently from any music playing"Lantelme

Follow Ups: