The E-Bay HOLTON

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by DS on January 15, 2003 at 11:33:31:

Aside from the speculation in a previous post regarding this tuba's condition and the alleged "shill" bidding, the question begs to be asked - What is a good BBb tuba like this really worth? Previous postings make you wonder, but I also see a previous poster who had (in my mind justified) concerns about the price of a BBb version of this horn is current high bidder. If one is an amateur player a horn like this could surely fulfill all your wishes and be your dream machine. And based on other purchases which have been posted about on this board and the cost of bringing them up to the apparent condition of this horn, it makes one wonder. So, has the price been inflated by some of the previous postings and the alleged "magic" attached to this horn and is this just a fad, or is it really worth paying that kind of money for an old Holton?

Why wouldn't a pro consider buying a horn like this instead of say, a 6/4 Nirschl York, which Walter has built several of in BBb for European pros for $14,000? (That aside from the year-long wait!) Can the work you can do really be that much lesser quality on this BBb than on the same horn in CC? Or maybe the Rusk-cut Holtons are EVEN better than the uncut versions? Or is there a stigma attached to being a pro and playing a BBb? (Yes, I know there are a few pro BBb players out there, but only a very FEW). As an aside, I e-mailed with Walter over a year ago and he mentioned that interest in his BBb BAT's had been considerably higher of late (he was building two that were slated for completion in April/May of 2002, and he doesn't build them on speculation).

There are certainly different considerations for an amateur like myself vs. a pro. This horn does everything I could possibly wish for (but I don't earn my living playing it). Financial considerations vis-a-vis initial outlay and resale value are possibly of lesser concern (I own a successful manufacturing business, so I can easily afford it).

It will be interesting to see what the auction horn finally goes for (with 6+ days left and not all interested bidders even having made a play yet...)

Dietmar (some questions I've asked myself and not come up with answers for) Sedens

Follow Ups: