Tuba Consumerism & Emails

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe Baker on February 19, 2004 at 18:10:31:

I'd like to offer a point of view counter to one I've seen expressed here several times regarding this whole matter of doing business via E-Mail. Many have defended slow response to e-mails based upon a proprietor's busy schedule. I've chosen not to say these things in response to any one post, because my comments really are intended to be general. I've never had occasion to contact any vendor discussed on this board, that I didn't receive a prompt reply.

There was a time when no one had telephones. Merchants did business at a distant via written mail. When the telephone came along, just about any merchant who did not adopt it was unable to compete. There may have been a few who were so excellent that they survived without a telephone -- at least for a time -- but for the most part, customers expected the service that comes with a telephone.

Now, we have a new technology, the internet, with web pages to give information and e-mail to ask questions. I know, a lot of people prefer the phone; but many of us have learned the value in being able to submit our question during non-working hours, choosing our words carefully, perhaps including a chart, a picture, etc. It's not the best mechanism for every inquiry, but I don't hear well over the phone and often stammer badly (especially when I find I have to leave a voice-mail). I REALLY want to do as much business by e-mail as possible. I even use e-mail for the most part instead of a phone to communicate with family!

With that all-too-lengthy introduction out of the way, here's what I really want to say:
1. The customer is (supposed to be) always right.
2. An increasing number of customers want to do business via the internet.
3. Excellent as all of the venders we discuss here are, customers clearly are beginning to EXPECT to get responses to e-mails within a few business hours.
4. If the proprietor is unavailable, someone else could field questions in his stead, even if only to let the customer know when the boss will be back. There is also technology that will allow all messages to be automatically replied to, with information about when e-mails will be answered and any alternative contact person who could be contacted immediately.
5. While failing to promptly reply to e-mail is perfectly the right of the vendor, in the long run MANY customers will choose to go elsewhere.

Joe Baker, who cautions that the marketplace is ruthless.

Follow Ups: